Sunday, April 30, 2023

52 Ancestors - Week 17

DNA

This week has been full of things I Must Do and not enough time for what I Wanna Do. But I did get a start on this week's topic, DNA. 

Many years ago I had my DNA tested with National Geographic's Genographic Project. I am mitochondrial haplogroup HV which is passed down from the maternal line. I had my maternal line back to my great great great grandmother Mary Elilzabeth Obermeyer, born February 1802 in Alfhausen, Hannover, now part of Germany. 

Her daughter was Bernardina Harmeyer, born 30 August 1824 in Alfhausen, Hannover. She was my immigrant ancestor and came to New Orleans on the ship John Carver on 19 June 1848. Her full name turned out to be Helena Caterina Bernardina Harmeyer and in most records she is recorded as Dina. By strange coincidence I named my daughter Dina. Great great grandmother Dina married Peter Hardeway, a ships  carpenter from Copenhagen, Denmark, on 16 May 1850 in Algiers, Orleans Parish, Louisiana. I wrote about her and her many surname variants back on September 20, 2020 in my verazgenealogy.blogspot.com post about her daughter and my Great Grandmother Anna Hattaway Gonzales. 

While researching her and her parents for this blog post I was able to add a lot of information to her parents and grandparents. 

Thanks to more German church records published on the Family Search website I now know that her father was Johan Friedrich Anton Harmeyer (also spelled Haarmeijer), born 25 Oct. 1798 and died 29 May 1872. Her mother was Maria Elisabeth Obermeyer (also spelled Obermeijer), born Feb 1802 and died 28 Dec 1835. Her paternal grandparents were Herman Heinrich Harmeyer, 1753-1820, and Maria Anna Revermann (1755-1831). I haven't found her maternal grandparents yet.

It was Maria Elisabeth Obermeyer who passed on her haplogroup HV mtDNA to Dina Harmeyer Hardeway and then to my great grandmother Anna Hardeway/Hattaway Gonzales.


No comments:

Post a Comment