Tuesday, September 17, 2024

Acadians in Louisiana

 Several years ago when my husband and I were RVing in Canada, we visited Fortress Louisbourg and the Historic Acadian Village in Nova Scotia.

Fortress Louisbourg   and The Historic Acadian Village

Both are fantastic places to visit especially if you have French ancestors. We stayed at a campground nearby. The camp host asked my husband if he spoke French and he said, "No, but my wife does." I said, "Oh, I just speak a little Louisiana French." She hugged me and said, "Louisiana! We love Zachary Richard!"  I was familiar with singer Zachary Richard and even had one of his tapes with me. 

Yesterday I found a link on Zachary Richard's Facebook page to:

 "Alpha List of Seven Ships Passengers, 29 July-17 December 1785" 

This in turn led me to Steven Cormier's site Acadians in Gray  This is an absolutely amazing source with links to much more information.

Click on APPENDICES and then on Alpha List of Seven Ships... Of the nearly 2,900 Acadians who found refuge in Louisiana from 1754  to the 1800s, more than half of them arrived on these seven Spanish ships that sailed from Nantes, France to New Orleans, Louisiana in 1785.

If you have Acadian/Cajun ancestors from Louisiana this is a must-see source.

No comments:

Post a Comment